These units describes the skills and knowledge required to Inspect, clean, splice and terminate optical fibre cable within an optical telecommunications transmission environment for new installations or upgrades of an optical backbone or access network, to achieve greater bandwidth and capacity required by emerging technology convergence for next generation networks (NGNs).
It applies to technical staff who splice and terminate optical fibre cable for telecommunications projects for commercial or industrial fibre to the premises (FTTP) non-mechanical splicing installations.
Duration: 5 Days Face to Face
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to
- inspect fibre connectors using inspection scopes
- clean connectors using approved methods
- handle optical fibre cable and connectors to prevent damage
- complete patching according to patching schedule and under the direction of the relevant authority
- splice, terminate and test optical fibre cable, applying safety precautions when working with laser-based systems and ensuring that required enterprise certification is first obtained if working with live fibre
- splice at least 12 fibres and house in industry recognised enclosures and underground closures according to manufacturer instructions
- install a pigtail that is fusion spliced to cable fibre
- inspect and clean optical connectors
- complete relevant documentation according to manufacturer and design requirements
- provide customer report documenting installation and test results, according to industry standards
- comply with all related work health and safety (WHS) requirements and work practices.
On successful completion, the student can gain NBN enable accreditation for skill 13 and Skill 9
ICTCBL330 – Splice and terminate optical fibre cable for telecommunications projects,
ICTTEN318 – Inspect, clean and handle optical fibre cable and connectors