This program has been designed for individuals who require formal training and assessment in the telecommunications industry.
This is an entry-level qualification for telecommunications linesworkers working on the construction and maintenance of high-speed national broadband network (NBN) infrastructure.
- Perform cable and infrastructure work underground, which may involve civil and construction work such as site preparation, building of enclosures, installing mounting brackets and hauling underground cables
- Work above ground to install fibre or metallic aerial cable and infrastructure, which may also include installing aerial lead-in cables to customer premises and providing traffic management.
Work functions in the occupational areas where this qualification may be used may be subject to regulatory requirements. Refer to the ICT Information and Communications Technology Companion Volume Implementation Guide or the relevant regulator for details of licensing, legislative or certification requirements.
Cabling on the customer side of the network termination device must be carried out according to requirements of the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) and relevant industry registration bodies, and in line with the specifications of the access network owner.
Milcom Institute has the following admission requirements:
- Undertake a Pre-Training Review that includes identifying the course the potential student is enrolling in is suitable and appropriate for the individual.
- In order to work in the telecommunications industry, a number of skill sets are required to be obtained, which form a significant part of this qualification. To ensure that we are only enrolling students into the most appropriate courses, all potential applicants are interviewed in the Pre-Training Review Process, to ensure that they desire the full qualification detailed in this TAS. Those just wanting the skill sets are directed towards our short courses.
- Students must have to complete test for colour blindness during the pre-training review.
- Be over the age of 18
This course will be delivered over a period of 35 weeks. Total program duration is 410 hours. Classroom Training of 12 sessions of 8 hours each, Self-Study of 9 Hours per week x 34 Weeks and 8 hours per week x 1 week
Milcom Institute operates a system of rolling enrolments meaning that students may commence at the beginning of any unit.
Mode of delivery
This program is to be delivered in a classroom-based environment and in a simulated work environment at MILCOM’s site (to provide access to appropriate environments for the practical components of the course).
Victoria: Unit 12, 1866 Princess Hwy, CLAYTON, VIC, 3168
New South Wales: 1/47 Parramatta Rd, Granville, NSW, 2142
Queensland: Construction Training Centre (CTC) Ian Barclay Building, 460-492 Beaudesert Road Salisbury, Queensland 4107
After achieving this qualification, student can advance to ICT30419 – Certificate III in Telecommunications Network Build and Operation, subject to meeting entry requirements.
Funding Incentives and Subsidies
MILCOM is approved for a range of government funding programs in a number of States and Territories. Contact us on 1300 369 320 to find out whether this program is available under funding and whether you may be eligible.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT)
Milcom Institute will offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and Credit Transfer (CT) to all students through the established process. Milcom Institute has documented policies and procedures for these processes and students encouraged to visit Milcom Institute website www.milcom.edu.au for further details
On successful completion of this course, students will receive a ICT20219 Certificate II inTelecommunications Network Build and Operation and a Record of results. If student cannot complete all the units of competency as specified in this qualification, a Statement of Attainment will be provided to students to indicate the units they have successfully completed.
Please contact the State Administration Manager at [email protected] or 1300 369 320 or refer to www.milcom.edu.au for further information.
We protect your fees at all times by:
- Maintaining a sufficient amount in our account so that so that it is able to repay all tuition fees already paid.
- Never charging individual students and prospective students in excess of $1,500 prior to commencement of course where the student or their representative pays the fees through direct enrolment.
- Additional fees may apply in addition to tuition fees.
Possible job titles include:
NBN Infrastructure Lines worker
Broadband Network Cabling Installer
Broadband Network Infrastructure Installer
NBN Optical Fibre Linesworker/Installer
The qualification has total of 12 units of competency comprising of 5 core and 7 elective units. In order to achieve the a ICT20219 Certificate II in Telecommunications Network Build and Operation students must satisfactorily complete the following units of competency:
ICTTEN202 Use hand and power tools
ICTTEN208 Use electrical skills when working with telecommunications networks
ICTTEN211 Work effectively in a telecommunications network environment
ICTWHS204 Follow work health and safety and environmental policy and procedures
ICTWOR308 Provide customer service to telecommunications customers
ICTCBL249 Haul underground cable for installation and maintenance work
ICTCBL252 Joint and terminate coaxial cable
ICTCBL253 Construct underground telecommunications infrastructure
ICTCBL322 Install, test and terminate optical fibre cable on customer premises
ICTCBL329 Install underground cable for communications applications
ICTCBL334 Install underground enclosures and conduit
ICTTEN318 Inspect, clean and handle optical fibre cable and connectors