Short Course Details
The following prerequisite units MUST be completed prior to commencing any open registration course from 10th July 2017.
ICTWHS204 - Follow work health and safety and environmental policy and procedures
ICTTEN201 - Use electrical skills in telecommunications work.
Units of Competency from 10th July 2017
- ICTCBL236 Install, maintain and modify customer premises communications cabling: ACMA Restricted Rule*
- ICTCMP202 Perform restricted customer premises broadband cabling work: ACMA Restricted Rule*
- ICTCBL237 Install, maintain and modify customer premises communications cabling: ACMA Open Rule*
This course is for those looking to obtain the Open Registration. This is the best starting point for work within the Telecommunications Industry (on either the Customer Premises or Carrier Network). Once obtained, the Open Registration Licence covers various aspects of customer premises cabling, such as Telecommunications, Security Systems, and Fire Protection. After completion of this course, learners will receive a statement of attainment which is used to apply for an Open Registration (previously known as the Austel Licence). Learners will also need to undertake supervised work experience on relevant cabling in order to gain the Open Registration. For details regarding the application requirements for obtaining an Open Registration, please contact ACMA or one of ACMA’s approved registrars. Since 1st July 2012, the Open Registration only covers telephony cabling, therefore in order to work with Structured Cabling (Cat 5 and above), Coaxial Cabling, or Optical Fibre, workers will need to gain endorsements on the open registration licence through further training.
On completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Terminate Cable
- Install cabling from socket to socket within a customer premises
- Detail the ACMA cabling licence requirements
- Describe the mandatory ACMA technical standards
- Describe the composition of a Telephone Cabling System
- Install all facility cabling and backbone cabling
- Recognise the requirement of a Telecommunications Reference Conductor and understand the correct methods of equipotential bonding according to the ACMA Technical Standards
- Recognise and be able to update cabling records correctly
- Test Telephone Cabling Systems prior to hand over to the client
- Unit of Competency: ICTCBL2136B Install, maintain and modify customer premises communications cabling: ACMA Restricted Rule
- Unit of Competency: ICTCBL2137B Install, maintain and modify customer premises communications cabling: ACMA Open Rule
- Unit of Competency: ICTWHS2170B Follow work health and safety and environmental policy and procedures
This course will be delivered in five face-to-face full day training sessions one of the MILCOM training centres or at a mutually convenient and suitable location, for a sufficiently large group of participants. Before applying for the open registration license, you will further need to provide evidence of having completed 360 hours practical cabling work.